10.24.2009

The Brain

I was thinking today about how AMAZING our brain is-- I'm mostly talking about triggers... not gun triggers but memory triggers. It's amazing how your senses will trigger memories and they're so vivid! I dunno it's weird!

For instance:
~Last night I went with a couple of friends to this "haunted" ghost town out in the boonies and I won't lie I really wasn't scared. The boys told a bunch of truly scary stories to get us in the mood to be scared & they didn't scare me really, but it scared the other girls .. anyways there was this HUGE creepy rundown barn and we went inside-- But when I walked in I looked around with a smile on my face. WHY? Because the look and smell of that old barn reminded me of one of my favorite places on earth. Every summer of my life I've gone up to our family's ranch in Idaho. It's beautiful and carries with it the happy memories! So instead of being like the other pansy girls there and clinging to the nearest male figure I walked confidently because our barn brought no bad feelings, so why should that barn?

~When I'm listening to General Conference I can close my eyes and I feel like I'm 9 years old again at Grandma's house with all of the cousins trying to play, but not being able to focus on anything but the sound of Conference echoing throughout the house, but with that sound comes the almost tangible smell and taste of roast beef from Grandma's kitchen. My mouth is literally watering right now thinking about it!

~Music is AMAZING to me. I love it. Whenever I hear the song Fantasy by Mariah Carey-- OH MY. I'm back to 7th East. I don't even know how old I was but about 3rd grade and Me, Sporty, my sisters, her sister, and her cousins got together and we made up dances to songs like Get Down by Backstreet Boys, Mariah Carey, Beach Boys, etc. Then after literally WEEKS of practicing-performed them for our families for FHE one night... We had the first couple of songs, then a wardrobe change during which Will told Elephant jokes, and then we finished with a couple more dances. That was like 12 years ago-- AND I CAN STILL DO MOST OF THE ACTIONS! ha ha!

Like I said brains are amazing but sometimes I wonder why I can remember the words to songs that I haven't heard in like 5 years, but I can't remember half the stuff I learned in biology 2 weeks ago.. Food for thought.

2 comments:

Sass said...

OH MY LAND!! WE ARE SISTERS!!! As soon as you said the words "General Conference" i pictured sitting in grandma's basement and the echo of the TV and radio floating downstairs! and i could smell grandma's food too!!!! :D
And last weekend when me and Jason went to the Jazz game we were listening to my iPod and "Get Down" came on and i started doing our routine!!! and i told him about our dance performances that we did!!!
That is insanely awesome!!!!!

Allison said...

Oh my heavens girl! I miss you! "In the Ayer" will forever remind me of you and Sporty. I sing jam now too... just because it makes me think of the good old 311 days. Haha.