7.06.2012

Food

Everyone gives the Brits flack about their food. I honestly wish that I could help out their reputation by giving them great reviews, but alas I cannot tell a lie. It's expensive, the portion size is small, and the flavor is bland!

One day I went to a cafe and ordered a turkey and cheese panini and I paid 4.95 pounds for it, which is equivalent to about $8. It came out and it was literally a single piece of cheese, thin slice of meat, and bread. No cranberry sauce or sprouts to jazz it up... nothing! My first thought was "I could've bought a Cafe Rio burrito for the same price and not been hungry for the rest of the day!"

I've also realized that my stomach is stretched out far too much haha. I am RARELY full here because they just don't give me enough food!

One of the cheapest ways to eat lunch (besides packing my own, which I normally do) is to buy a sandwich at one of the marts/pharmacies.. but the flavors are terrible!

 Get a load of these titles to the sandwiches above: Egg and Mayonaise, Cheese and Pickle, Tuna and Mayonaise, Prawn and Lettace Cocktail. Gross! Where is the meat? and Prawns hardly count as meat.. In the States the selection would be something like Ham, Turkey, Chicken, Peanut Butter and Jelly, etc. I didn't even know what to eat the first day haha. However I eventually figured out where the meat was....


It's in their "crisps"! I want a roasted chicken sandwich with cheddar or dill chips, not a cheese and pickle sandwich with Roasted Chicken flavored crisps! They've got it all backwards.

The good food that I have had has all been ethnic. Mexican, Indian, Chinese, but even then it's expensive and I'm never full. I've been through 3 jars of peanut butter since arriving and almost an entire jar of honey. I miss cheap food. Call me an American!

3 comments:

Erin said...

That is hilarious! I went to Italy a couple weeks after high school graduation and when I came back my family asked me how the food was thinking it would be amazing. They always make fun of me because I said "Eh, Olive Garden is way better." Haha! Hope your stomach gets used to it soon :/

Cindy said...

I love cheese and onion crisps. Mmmm.

Even McDonalds is expensive and has smaller portions. It is slightly depressing to pay more and get less tasteless food.

Chelsie Jensen said...

I couldn't agree with you more that their food is not great. I though the exact same thing when we were there. I remember we got back in the US and we were in heaven when we saw Burger King!